« Home | Yahoo call » | Sony Ericsson plans to cut 2k jobs in the next 12 ... » | iPhone costs » | BIC and Orange releases disposable mobile phone » | Shazam for iPhone » | European SMS arbitrary roaming prices » | EA vs Gameloft » | Apple offers 30 days MobileMe extension for users » | Twitter Buys Summize » | Sony Ericsson: What's next ? » 

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 

App Store success

According to Steve Jobs, App Store shoppers have downloaded 60+ million programs for the iPhone in the last month. While most were free, Apple has sold an average of $1 million a day in applications for a total of about $30 million in sales.

To put that into perspective, if Apple can sell apps at this pace, they stand to make at least $360 million a year. That's no small change...

But what does this mean for marketers? How can we tap into this desire to load our phones with gizmos and gadgets? It starts with utility...while I love my "light saber" application, its just for shits and giggles. The applications that really get me excited are the ones that add value to my day to day. They get me from point A to point B faster or find me a hotel in San Francisco the second I land or allow me to post to this blog with no effort at all. The point is, lets create apps that are useful and relevant...AND, entertaining. They shouldn't and don't have to be mutually exclusive.


Full Story: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121842341491928977.html

Pedro "K2" Macêdo

About me

  • I'm Pedro Macedo
  • From
My profile

Sponsored Links

Contact

Stats

I recommend